What Makes A Good Vinyl Window?
|Sash meeting rails showing structural interlock and K-Beam™ reinforcement.|
| Foam fill adds insulation to the multi-chambered construction.|
|Welded corners prevent air from leaking through the corners.|
|Insulated glass unit showing three panes of glass and two Super Spacers.|
Finding Quality Vinyl Double Hung Windows
Quality double hung vinyl windows are basically well-designed windows. When much attention is given on the overall design, the double hung vinyl windows are guaranteed to be energy efficient; can keep air leakage at a minimum; and will last for a long time. Look for the following qualities so you can be sure that you get the best double hung replacement windows for your home:
- Interlocks: One indication that you have spotted a quality double hung vinyl window is when its sashes are hooked onto each other and the window frame. This forms a strong barrier that can prevent a significant amount of air from leaking out.
- Reinforced meeting rails: Reinforcements provide added strength to your double hung windows. Plus, they offer stability keeping the sashes straight in order for them to interlock nicely. A non-metal reinforcement is considered the most ideal choice. It’s five times stronger than steel and provides a much greater level of insulation than aluminum.
- Foam filled frame and sashes: One crucial factor that makes vinyl windows perform better than other alternate options is their multi-chambered frame construction. These hollow chambers are where the foam insulation is injected into which makes vinyl windows more energy efficient than their wood or metal equivalents. Aside from the foam fill, the stick foam can also be inserted into the chambers for maximum insulating properties.
- Weather-stripping: The best double hung windows have sufficient and high quality weather stripping around their sashes. This enables the windows to significantly reduce air infiltration.
- Welded Corners: The corner joints of quality double hung vinyl windows should be fusion-welded, rather than mechanically joined. This will offer maximum resistance against air infiltration. Plus, itwill give your windows a clean and professional finish.
- Insulated Glass: The type of glass used in your double hung vinyl windows can help determine their energy performance. For maximum energy efficiency, we have 23 different variations of insulated glass that you can choose from for your double hung windows.
If you still can’t figure out which window is best for your home, contact Zen Windows Boston to learn more.